9am to noon
Over 70 coastal sites throughout
Los Angeles County, Calif.
For the 18th consecutive year, Heal The Bay, a nonprofit environmental organization dedicated to making Southern California coastal waters and watersheds healthy and clean, has organized the Coastal Cleanup Day. This year's event will take place at over 70 different locations throughout Los Angeles County on Saturday, September 20th from 9am to noon.
As expected, Guidance Green will be there to help collect what Heal The Bay predict as the 1-millionth pound of trash they have collected in 18 years. The Guidance Green team will report at Dockweiler State Beach in Playa del Rey, CA.
If you'd like to join us, here's how:
- Download and print a copy of the Coastal Cleanup Day flyer to display on your car dashboard to benefit from the free parking from 9 to noon.
- Download and print the event's waiver and sign it. Bring it to the event with you.
- When you arrive at Dockweiler State Beach (or any of the 70 CCD-participating sites), turn in your waiver at the registration table or station #1.
- Proceed to station #2 to receive a safety and education talk with instructions for the day and to know where to clean, what to clean, and why.
- Once you are instructed you'll be ready to receive your cleanup supplies (trash bag, recycle bag, data card, pencil, and glove) from station #3.
- Please return everything at the wrap up of the event at 11:30am. Each site will have special instructions to follow day of, so pay attention to your cleanup captains.
- All minors under the age of thirteen must be accompanied by an adult.
- All toddlers and babies must be with their parent at all times.
- All scouts, cubs, and youth groups should follow a reasonable adult-to-kid ratio for the safety of all participants at this event.
If you're wondering what to bring to the event, here's a list:
- a water bottle
- a hat
- close-toe shoes
- appropriate clothing for a day of cleaning (if you plan on attending a beach site like Dockweiler State Beach, wear layers; if you're going inland to clean, wear clothes that will allow you to work in creek beds and rivers)
Cleanup supplies are provided by the California Coastal Commission at all sites.
For more information, contact Heal The Bay at (800) HEAL-BAY or visit their webiste at http://www.healthebay.org/.
See you on Saturday 9/20!